Our intent for Science is that every child develops an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery. Science is an integral part of each Learning Mission. As one of the core subjects we give the teaching and learning of Science the profile it requires. Children have individual Science books and a working wall in the classroom to scaffold and support their learning
Our intent is for children to:
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of enquiries
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Be confident to ask questions, take risks and extend their scientific knowledge
- Develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge
- Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner.
- Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
- Understand the importance of Science in today’s world and inspire them for their future.
We implement our Science approach through:
- In EYFS, we implement science through enhancing provision for children to explore scientific concepts such as melting, freezing, floating and sinking. We promote children’s independence to choose ways to do things and promote their curiosity. In EYFS, we encourage outside visitors to come and speak to the children to promote opportunities for awe and wonder!
- Science is taught for one afternoon a week through focus groups and challenges
- Working walls reflect what is being taught, vocabulary, relevant diagrams, photos and knowledge organisers
- Books that are high quality and show a range of evidence. Teachers have the highest expectations and children are proud of their work!
- Weekly experiments focusing on scientific enquiry
- A creative and innovative approach using a range of high quality resources and teaching methods
- The use of knowledge organisers to enable children to remember what they have been taught long term
- Excellent teacher subject knowledge and high order questioning
- Excellent nurture and relationships between teacher and children allow them to take risks in their learning, allowing all children opportunities to access Greater Depth learning
- Working scientifically skills are embedded into every lesson to ensure these skills are being developed throughout
- Learning across the curriculum is sequentially planned to build on knowledge and skills
The National Curriculum provides a structure and skill development for the Science curriculum being taught. This is, where possible, linked to our Learning Missions to provide a creative approach, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
The impact of our Science approach is children are inspired to demonstrate their scientific knowledge and skills. They are curious to find out how? and why?