Our intent is that our teaching of History will help pupils gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. History is a subject driver for relevant Learning Missions.
Our intent for our History approach is:
- To inspire children’s curiosity about the past and to recognise its significance today.
- To teach children to understand the complexity of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies and relationships between different groups, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Be confident to ask questions, take risks and extend their scientific knowledge. This is enabled by positive relationships and nurture.
We implement History through:
- In EYFS, we implement History through exploring key historical vocabulary and learning key calendar events, remembering our learning through vocabulary floor books. We follow children’s interest but promote further challenge through adult interactions and by providing books to learn about historical events.
- Our curriculum sequence of Launch, re Launch and Landing
- Focus groups and challenges within Learning Mission time. Nurture and relationships allow adults to support children to challenge themselves
- Learning Mission journeys reflect what is being taught, vocabulary, relevant diagrams, photos and knowledge organisers
- Learning mission books that are high quality and and evidence the highest expectations of learning
- A creative and innovative approach using a range of high-quality resources
- The use of knowledge organisers to enable children to remember what they have been taught long term
- Using a core text to link knowledge across the curriculum
- Excellent teacher subject knowledge and high order questioning
- Opportunities for all children to access Greater Depth learning
- Learning across the curriculum is sequentially planned to build on knowledge and skills
The National Curriculum provides a structure and skill development for the History curriculum being taught. This is linked to our Learning Missions to provide a creative approach, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
The impact of our History approach is children understand our past and their ancestors. They are passionate about History and its significance today.