Our intent for our Design and Technology approach is to allow children to thrive in our rapidly changing world by encouraging them to become independent, creative problem solvers. We want children to think as individuals and as part of a team.
Our intent is for children to:
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Be confident to ask questions and extend their knowledge. This is enabled by positive relationships and nurture
- Identify needs and opportunities and to respond to them by developing a range of ideas and by making products and systems
- Reflect on and evaluate past and present products and technology, it's uses and impacts
We implement our Design and Technology curriculum through:
- In EYFS, we implement DT by providing children with a wide range of indoor and outdoor construction equipment, from planks and blocks to junk modelling. This provision is in place everyday to support children with developing their understanding of why they build and how to adapt it when necessary. Adult interactions support children’s knowledge and vocabulary, including skills involved with balancing, constructing, joining, assembling and fixing.
- Our curriculum sequence of Launch, re Launch and Landing
- A learning sequence of Design, Make, Evaluate
- Focus groups and challenges within Learning Mission time to model and scaffold DT skills. Nurture and relationships allow adults to support children to experiment and challenge themselves
- Learning Mission journeys reflect what is being taught, vocabulary, relevant diagrams, photos and knowledge organisers
- Learning mission books that are high quality and show a range of DT and evidence the highest expectations.
- A creative and innovative approach using a range of high quality resources
- The use of knowledge organisers to enable children to remember what they have been taught long term
The National Curriculum provides a structure and skill development for the Design and Technology curriculum being taught. This is linked to our Learning Missions to provide a creative approach, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
The impact of our Design and Technology approach is children design, make and evaluate purposeful products and are proud of their creations. Children’s skills are transferable across the curriculum and their knowledge used in everyday life.