Our Intent is for children:
- Through a safe, nurturing learning environment all pupils to achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning in French
- To use languages to foster a curiosity and understanding of the world around them
- To ensure pupils achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- For pupils to be confident to ask questions, take risks and extend their language knowledge. This is enabled by positive relationships and nurture
- To equip pupils with skills to speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity
- To ensure pupils understand and appreciate how exploring another language will help to lay the foundations for further language learning in the future
- To create a MFL curriculum designed to develop not only our children’s language skills, but also their love of learning a language
- To support pupils to use their language skills in everyday life, both now and in the future, equipping pupils to study and work in other countries
- To ensure all pupils in KS2 achieve at least age related expectations for MFL
- To ensure excellent teacher subject knowledge and high order questioning
We implement our MFL curriculum through:
- In EYFS and KS1 pupils listen to and appreciate songs from other languages and are introduced to basic greetings and vocabulary
- Our creative and innovative sequential approach, which progressively develops language skills through weekly taught lessons. This allows the children to acquire new words and phrases, then use and apply these in a range of different scenarios
- A range of spoken and written focus tasks are used.
- Provide support to encourage pupils develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing and games.
- Pupils are supported through the use of word banks, scaffold prompts, writing frames to access learning in MFL.
- Children will record their work through pictures, captions and sentences.
- Languages other than French may be looked at through our learning mission approach
- Knowledge, skills and vocabulary is sequenced and progresses across the school.