Our intent is for our outdoor learning approach to develop and love of nature and the outdoors. For us, learning is not only about what we learn, but most importantly, how and where we learn.
Our intent for our outdoor learning approach is for children to:
- Take part in regular Forest School sessions
- For staff to be highly trained and have access to regular CPD opportunities through observing and shadowing our specialist Forest School teachers.
- Achieve their absolute potential by having the highest expectations of their learning
- Be confident to ask questions, take risks and extend their skills in the outdoors. This is enabled by positive relationships and nurture
- Develop their understanding of risk management and risk benefit
- Be equipped with the practical skills which will enable them to thrive in an outdoor environment
- Understand and appreciate the positive impact that learning in the outdoors can have on mental health and emotional wellbeing
- Apply outdoor skills in everyday life, both now and in the future
- Build and develop key personal skills, such as self-esteem, confidence, resilience, determination, independence, creativity, curiosity and collaboration
- Gain a respect for, and appreciation of the natural environment and wildlife living in our setting
We implement our outdoor learning approach through:
- Our creative and innovative sequential approach, which allows children to engage in weekly Forest School sessions
- A range of focus tasks. Nurture and relationships allow adults to support children to challenge themselves and take risks in their learning
- Hands on experiences where children develop their understanding and application of key skills
- Relevant learning experiences, closely linked to our Learning Mission, which gives depth, enrichment and an outdoor perspective for our children
- The opportunity to be able to explore and learn outside throughout the year, experiencing the seasons and changing nature around them
- High quality teaching and the highest expectations of behaviour, learning and outcomes
- Access to an enriched and stimulating outdoor Forest School environment, including our outdoor classroom and a range of high quality resources
- Regular sessions with our Forest School leaders from Outdoor Adventures Forest School.
- Launch, re Launch and Landing
The impact of our outdoor learning approach is that children are equipped with the skills and knowledge to make connections with the real world outside the classroom. Our wonderful outdoor environment and surroundings act as a rich stimulus for creative thinking and learning. Our children have a true appreciation and love of nature, and a genuine belief that they can care for, make an impact and transform our world.