SMSC & British Values
At Keeble we promote a variety of ways to help our children with their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, including developing British Values. Through exciting extra-curricular activities and stimulating teaching and learning opportunities, we aim to provide opportunities for our children to form their own identity; sense of place and purpose, giving them the confidence to question and discover who they are in the world and face the exciting challenges that lie ahead.
British values are embedded in the work of the Academy and they are defined as:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
As our children grow and progress through the Academy we are committed to ensure that they achieve their full potential academically but also understand the importance of progressing spiritually, morally, culturally and socially in order to be prepared for life in modern Britain and so that they can develop as a whole child. The creative and unique curriculum at Keeble ensures that children are encouraged to grow in all of these areas. Our core aims and values are reflective of spiritual, moral, social and cultural development by teaching perseverance, resilience, independence and fundamental British values.
- Children are given opportunity to explore and appreciate values and beliefs, including those of other religions.
- Children are given opportunity to understand human feelings and emotions, the effects of them and the importance of understanding them.
- We encourage all our children to expand on learning by asking open ended questions and using the Blooms Taxonomy.
- We have a clear moral code which is consistent throughout the Academy.
- We promote measures to prevent discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age and other criteria through our engaging curriculum.
- We encourage children to take responsibility for their actions through our coherent behaviour policy and restorative practice.
- We foster a sense of community with common inclusive values that ensure that everyone, irrespective of ethnic origin, nationality, gender, ability, sexual orientation and religion feel safe and happy in order to reach their full potential.
- Our extended curriculum focuses on topics to embolden children to develop personal qualities for example respect, kindness, forgiveness.
- We provide a conceptual and linguistic framework within which to understand and debate social issues.
- Our child-led, creative curriculum encourages pupils to work together cooperatively and teaches resilience and teamwork skills.
- Our curriculum is centred around creativity allowing children to learn collaboratively through the arts and our forest schools area.
- We provide opportunities for children to explore their own cultural assumptions and values
- We present authentic accounts of the attitudes, values and traditions of diverse cultures.
- We extend childre’s knowledge and use of cultural image and language recognising and nurturing particular gifts and talents through our exciting sports opportunities and extracurricular activities.
- Each year the Academy focuses on a different country or continent for a whole school Big Idea. The children gain an in depth knowledge as they are fully immersed in the culture of the chosen place.